Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Flirting 101: The Great Exchange.

I ♥ music.  I don't know if it's the dancer in me or the movie buff, but if good music is playing, I know that something exciting is about to occur.  Even in my daily life, nothing enhances my walk around this city more than a soundtrack from my beat up iPod.  I know just what songs to play to make me smile, zen me out, or even to shake my ass around [which I've been known to do from time to time].  But I also tend to get stuck in a genre and my playlists can become increasingly one-sided [mostly vintage tunes and embarrassing pop, if you must know].  This is why I'm always eager for the chance to discover new and exciting musical territory.

Which brings me to my current obsession: the music swap.  Or, as I've titled the playlist on my iTunes: 'The Great Exchange.'

It all started last week when an adorably music-obsessed guy friend sent me a song via email.  And I LOVED it. So I sent one back. Then, he sent me another the next day. So I sent him one that day too...and so it goes.  It's now become a daily gift exchange that I look forward to and thoroughly enjoy.  Not only do I adore presents [even in the form of online files], but best of all, my music collection has expanded well beyond the realms of where I ever could have taken it on my own.  And by checking in for my opinions, it's almost as if music man's trying to please me musically the way most guys try to please a girl physically: a little trial and error and a lot of input...and that's sexy.

When you think about it, music is quite personal, particularly for those who love it.  99.9% of the songs on my playlist have at least some emotional meaning [and I wouldn't have it any other way].  But sharing those songs almost starts to feel like sharing a part of myself, which can be scary with anyone, let alone an adorable boy [friend or otherwise].  I have the slight fear that any day now one of my embarrassing little pop songs could slip out and expose me for the complete dork that I really am.  But then again, that's me: I can listen to a beautiful Yann Tiersen composition and then turn right around and crank up the Britney [or, God forbid, the Miley] for my own personal dance party.  There are different sides to my music collection just like there are different sides to my personality.  But for now, I'll try to keep my cool [and keep the Demi Lovato to myself].
Share this post!

No comments: