Thursday, March 25, 2010

Matchmaking 101: Who'd have known?

Things I'm learning about myself while searching for boys on Match.com:

1. I'm incredibly shallow. Hear me out: I don't consider myself any more shallow than the next person when it comes to real life. Personality plays a big part in my attraction to someone if they're right in front of me. But online, when all there is to catch my attention is a stagnant vanity shot in thumbnail size, I get pretty judgmental. While judging the books by their covers, I've learned that apparently:
  • only about 1 in 100 guys truly interest me
  • shaved heads kind of creep me out
  • blue eyes hypnotize me
  • a nice smile is important
  • too many muscles turn me off
  • [boys with bed head are sexy]
  • [boys in cool hats are sexy]
  • [boys who wear glasses are sexy]

2. Boys who like to pose with their guitar like me.  Note: I did not say boys who PLAY guitar like me.  For all I know, the guys bombarding me with winks as they pretentiously pose with their acoustics can't play a lick.  But if they love the way they look with a guitar in their hands, they're usually into me.  Take from that what you will.

3.  There is no clear definition as to what "about average" body type means.  Statistically, I imagine that the average American body type is slightly rotund, so perhaps the cushier men of Match.com are dead on in using that description.  However, in my mind, "about average" means a bit leaner, but lacking in muscle and tone.  Apparently, this description works on a sliding scale and it always catches me off guard.

...more to come later.
Share this post!

No comments: