Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Matchmaking 101: What have I gotten myself into?

Yesterday, I came to the realization that I will pretty much do anything if it'll make for a good blog.

Let me explain: During a conversation about the current state of my love life with the most spontaneous boy I know, he suggested that I try to meet guys on Match.com.  I laughed and told him I'm not that desperate.  He then said it might make for a good blog.  That's when I gave it a second thought.  By the time he offered to pay the monthly fee, I was sold.

However, this project has a few rules:

1. I don't want to manage the profile.  This may sound weird for a blogger, but I'm kind of sick of describing myself.  Between twitter, facebook, myspace, personal websites, and various other online outlets, I'm sick of trying to define 'who I am.' Thankfully, my best girl friend [call her Miss X] was more than willing to take the job.  She created a fun and flirty description of me that was pretty much spot on.  Except I'm much cooler through her eyes.

2. I don't want to spend hours online sorting thru the profiles of prospective dates.  Truth time: I've actually done Match.com's free trial before [boredom will make you do crazy things...so will a bottle of wine & an evening of watching too many romantic comedies].  I hate having to sort thru thumbnail after thumbnail of guys trying to look cooler/thinner/hipper than they really are.  And reading email after email of "you fine, girl." isn't my cup of tea either.  That's why Miss X is my official screening process for this project.  She 'winks' at the goods ones and if they respond with an intelligent email, that's when I take over.

3. I have to go out on at least 4 real life dates in 3 months time.  My financial backer created this rule to make sure his money's well spent.  Originally our deal was one month of membership for 2 dates, but since he was feeling generous and paid for 3 months, the date number was increased to 4.  It should be noted that I haven't been on 4 dates in the past 2 years, let along in 3 months.  This could get interesting.

Let the games begin.
Share this post!

No comments: